Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Things I Want for Christmas but will likely not get....

There are some things in life you just can't get enough of, and today I'd like to share a few of the things that have gone missing (and are likely not coming back) that I would like to see more of. It's Christmas time; here's the top items on my Christmas list that I'm likely not going to get---
 
 
 
Runaways is my FAVORITE comic book series EVER. It's got a totally cool storyline (especially the first two arcs) and wonderful characters that any teen can relate to. This was actually the second American comic series that I got into. The first one was New Mutants. And I have been a Marvel girl ever since (no offense DC Comics). The comic was unfortunately put on permanent hiatus back in 2009. There was a rumor a while back that Runaways' first story arc was going to be made into a movie, and I've been super excited about it since, but it's gotten pushed back by multiple other Marvel movie projects, including The Avengers, Iron Man 3, and Thor 2. I keep my fingers crossed that the day will come when there's a Runaways movie but for now, I just got to keep my eye on them having cameo appearances.
 
2 ) Psychonauts 2
 



 
This has got to be one of the CRAZIEST and most original and enjoyable video games I have ever played. It's kind of got a cult status now that it's been featured as a downloadable games on websites like GameFly and SteamPowered, but it was virtually unheard of when it came out.
 
Check this - the people who worked on Tim Burton's films did the character designs and legendary Tim Schaffer (noted for Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle computer games) did the storyline of a boy with psychic powers who runs away from the circus to a summer camp to become a psychic warrior where there is a sinister plot held by the camp director to steal the brains of the children to power deadly psychic tanks! If that isn't awesome enough for you, the actual levels of the games take place inside people's heads and actually profile different mental disorders such as schitzophrenia, bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, and cognitive identity disorder, and more. That being said, they are INSANE, and in some cases, super creepy. It's like Hitchcock, Burton, and Disney all rolled into one.
 
A while back, Tim Schaffer said that Psychonauts did so well in the online sales that he's ready to put Psychonauts 2 into production if a studio will have him and his little project. Nothing so far yet, but let's keep our fingers crossed!
 
3 ) More Mad-Scientist Movies
 
 
 
I've got a secret love for movies featured mad-scientists with experiments gone horribly wrong ,especially in the medical field. Science and pushing science to its' limit make some of the greatest creative films (even if sometimes they aren't too well-done) and I wish that Hollywood would break out of the action and comedic-romance mould to make more of these films. I got a handful that are truly great, but you can only watch them so many times ...
 
Definitely check out :
 
 
for some fantastic B-ish sci-fi mad-scientist movies :)
 
4 ) Giant Rampaging Monsters

 
Do I really need to say any more on that subject?
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Connie said...

Love mad scientist's stuff gone wrong and also anything Godzilla!!