Sunday, April 28, 2013

Wordless Character Pieces

Yuck. I've been sick for the past couple of days. I went to the doctor to see what it was (mainly because I didn't want it to be flu and if it was, I certainly didn't want to be around kiddos with it) and they couldn't figure out what it exactly is. Definitely something viral though, so the best I can do is drink lots of fluids, get lots of rest, and ride it out. It has a whole array of awful symptoms that I won't go into, but let me just say that it isn't pleasant at all.

There's only one thing being sick is go for and that is giving me time to read... and time to write...

About a week ago, I thought I'd pay a visit to some old friends- characters that I had created in junior high and somehow stayed with me all this time. I'm a little embarrassed to type about them. I'm not ashamed of them as characters. Granted, they've matured a lot as characters but... at first, part of me felt really weird that I still thought about them and even considered them friends (yeah, guys, I am so shy and socially awkward that I rely on my imaginary friends) ... anyway, I decided that I didn't care what anybody thought and if writing about them would make me feel better, I was going to do it! So I have...

Not all of them have remained. Some have died out, but a few of them persist. And in the past, I used to listen to pop music to inspire me for their personalities, but as I've gotten older. Words and lyrics are just so ... so confining! - now, I have to listen to classical music to define them, and today I'd like to share the top remaining 3 characters and pieces that fill me with thoughts of them whenever I listen to them! Granted, they are all rather soothing sort of pieces that speaks to their characters, I think. Action parts I save for less... um... romantic sort of pieces.

I'm curious to hear if anybody does this with their own original characters, and if so, what kind of music do you listen to? What does the music say about them as a character?


Victoria - Rubenstein's "Romance in E flat Major, Op. 44"



Tess - Chopin's "Etude in E Major, Op.10: No.3"



Ophelia -  Mozart's "Clarinet Concerto, K.622: II. Adagio"





I'm a little shocked that Ophelia didn't end up with a Brahms piece. Still three outstanding composers.

No comments: