Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Personal Update and First World Worries

My birthday is coming up. I'm going to be 25 years, 1/4 a century old. Honestly, I don't feel any different since the day I turned 16. I can't decide if it's a good thing or bad thing. There's that famous saying that "You don't stop laughing because you're old. You're old because you stopped laughing" - or some sort of variation on that. And while I understand what this quote is trying to say, I can't help but wonder sometimes if you really have to stop laughing at things to prove to others that you are mature and responsible and should be taken seriously... like I should really stop laughing at the title of this book ---



I don't think I need to grow up any time soon. I did just become a youth assistant librarian and I'm really enjoying my job and I'm really enjoying the kids' stuff. I do get a little insecure whenever I have friends look at me like an alien and say 'Dude, why are you wearing a Skylanders Giant dogtag around your neck?' like I shouldn't be into Skylanders at all. But Skylanders are so cool! I can't help what I like and at least I'm not creepy about it or hurting anyone by it.

Anyway, that whole rant was regarding --- I have no idea what I want for my birthday. All my family members keep asking and honestly, I don't really need anything, but the things I like ( such as Pokemon cards, anime, and comic books) I hesitate to ask for because a) they don't know what it is and b) my siblings tease me. I'll likely ask for book money  which is nice too :)

I shouldn't be so sensitive about this issue. I mean, I did write this journal entry to counter everyone who gives me funny looks about it.

My darling Felicia was in surgery yesterday for a rib removal to help her thorastic outlet syndrome. She is awake and on a morphine drip so I honestly can't tell whether or not she's really feeling better. I hear that any kind of chest surgery hurts a lot so I imagine she's going to be in some more pain for a couple weeks, but hopefully now that the rib isn't pressing on that artery and nerve, she will get to feeling good again and won't have to rely on those awful painkillers and narcotics. I love her regardless but I always worry so much about her health. I'm really happy we can count on the V.A. even if it takes a little poking and prodding to get the ball rolling.

No comments: