Saturday, May 10, 2014

In Swick's Bookbag : Endangered

I find apes absolutely fascinating, especially their capacity to learn, their societal groups, and the fact that we share approximately 98% percent of our DNA with them. It's amazing to me that such a small percentage changes a living thing so much from one another, and at the same time, they are so remarkably similar that they almost feel human too.
 
When any kind of fictional book about apes comes out (especially if it is marketed towards kids and teens), it immediately goes onto my to-read list. Many of my staff picks for the library are about apes or ape-behavior.
 
The book I have right now .... Endangered by Eliot Schrefer .... is no exception to this.
 
 
 
In fact, it's almost more important because it is a heart-wrenching story about the casualties of war and rebellion that nobody talks about.... the animals. It is a story about a girl who has come from two different worlds to care for an infant bonobo and life with them in a wartime zone in Africa.
 
So. Many. Feels.
 
I'm not sure what it says about me, but as far as horror goes, you can chop up and bloody humans all day and I won't so much as bat an eye, I'm so insensitive to it. The instant you throw in any kind of animal .... apes, dogs, cats .... even insects to a degree! ... and I feel sickened. Thankfully, there isn't a lot of description of the death and turmoil, but the atmosphere is laden with it. It is a very intense book.
 
I'm having a hard time reading parts of this book, but so far it's been beautiful and moving.

No comments: