Friday, March 7, 2014

Nostalgi-orama

I had a huge wave of nostalgia hit me last night while I was surfing aimlessly on the web (YouTube to be more exact; I can spend hours looking at ridiculous videos on YouTube. My browsing history is full of Pokemon related videos and baby animals sneezing or doing stupidly adorable things.) The video that got the nostalgia high tide coming in was this one ...



(FYI, this is the opening for the Animorphs TV series
that broadcasted on Nickelodeon from 1998 - 2000;
based on the popular book series by K.A. Applegate
and coauthored by Michael Grant of Gone and BZRK)



My friend Elyse has steadily been going through the Animorphs series to revisit her childhood as well as see whether the series can stand up to the test of time, and while I haven't asked a lot on her opinion so far (I think she's re-read through like Book 35?) ... I'm tempted to find out for myself if the series has, because that's when it suddenly hit me - I enjoy book series from my childhood MUCH more now that I'm grown-up than I ever did as a kid. I don't know if I just wasn't reading as cognitively or as closely as a child, or what. After re-reading several of the Redwall novels, I'm only further proving my point and I'm wondering what else might be fun to revisit or what I missed out on when I was a kid.

In addition to re-reading Redwall and Animorphs, I would definitely have to revisit these ...

... I read a bunch of these as a kids (and they are STILL just as popular now as they were then). I definitely don't think they'll be as scary or creepy as they were when I was young, but it'll be fun just to flip through them, and it takes no time to read them since they are so short.

Other series that are probably worth re-reads too that remind me of my childhood ...



Two more series that have aged relatively well, and continue to remain popular with kids. 

Another series I should note is the Harry Potter series that I didn't really discover until the third book Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was released, but every year thereafter I was eagerly awaiting each new publication and reveled in the adventures that Harry Potter had. I'd say I need to revisit this series too, but I've already read them over and over several times ;) - another series that meets this criteria (which I totally appreciate more now than I ever did as a child) is Tolkien's immortal Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

Those are the series that I distinctly remember reading. Singular titles, sadly, I'm a little vague on. I was also very interested in fairy tales and folklore from around the world which I ended up doing a lot of study on while getting my Bachelor's degree. I still have several of those collections; they are dear to me.

What series do you remember reading as a kid?
 If you were to revisit them, do you think they'd live up to your standards? :)


No comments: