Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Book Series That I Hate To Love ...

You know when you come across a series that frankly isn't very good but you can't stop yourself from reading the whole thing because you get attached to something like the setting, or the characters, or the writing style? You know, that book where it only has one good thing about it, and the rest of it is total hogwash? Come on, I know you've had something like that whether it's a movie or a video game or a TV series? .... sometimes similar to 'guilty pleasures' but I can't find a word equivocating what I really mean. It's not 'so bad that it's good' ... oh well, what do I care?

The point of my post today is admitting that I have those.

Please note, that I am not one of those people who has to finish a series once she starts it... there are plenty of samples of series that I flat out gave up on after the first book.

Yes, yes, I know I'm a little big of a book snob, but it's true.
I like trashy literature sometimes.
Especially of the high-school variety

(for what reasons I do not know because honestly high-school was a hellhole ....
except for my friend Elyse whom I will never regret doing anything with
*waves to Elyse*

Let me introduce you to some of my 'guilty pleasure'ish series...

----

 1 ) The Gone series by Michael Grant

What is Gone? ~  In the blink of an eye, everyone disappears. Gone. Except for the young.
There are teens, but not one single adult. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened. Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents--unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers--that grow stronger by the day. It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else... (taken from Goodreads)

Why I Hate It? ~ There is SO MUCH stupid shit going on in this book. First, all the adults disappear and kids are left to reign (Lord of the Flies) , then everyone starts developing superpowers (DC/Marvel Comics), then we all figure out there is an unspeakable evil of darkness (Harry Potter) ... and then when that's not enough, all the animals start talking (Chronicles of Narnia) ... the elements in this book are so mind-boggling overwhelming that you aren't even sure what the real point of the series is anymore. To make matters worse, there are copious amounts of love triangles and teenage angst going on (Twilight), and the only openly gay character dies in book two. Oh yeah... *SPOILERS!* 

Why I Kept Reading It? ~ Honestly, I'm really into the whole Lord of the Rings vibe. That book stuck with me a lot more than I wanted it to. I love sticking kids in a place where they have to govern themselves, and then watch chaos and angst ensure.

Other things like this of note .... 
(aka "Lord of the Flies in Space")


( aka "Lord of the Flies with Zombies")

------

2 )  The Escape from Furnace series by Alexander Gordon-Smith

What is Escape From Furnace? Furnace Penitentiary: the world’s most secure prison for young offenders, buried a mile beneath the earth’s surface. Convicted of a murder he didn’t commit, sentenced to life without parole, “new fish” Alex Sawyer knows he has two choices: find a way out, or resign himself to a death behind bars, in the darkness at the bottom of the world. Except in Furnace, death is the least of his worries. Soon Alex discovers that the prison is a place of pure evil, where inhuman creatures in gas masks stalk the corridors at night, where giants in black suits drag screaming inmates into the shadows, where deformed beasts can be heard howling from the blood-drenched tunnels below. And behind everything is the mysterious, all-powerful warden, a man as cruel and dangerous as the devil himself, whose unthinkable acts have consequences that stretch far beyond the walls of the prison. Together with a bunch of inmates—some innocent kids who have been framed, others cold-blooded killers—Alex plans an escape. But as he starts to uncover the truth about Furnace’s deeper, darker purpose, Alex’s actions grow ever more dangerous, and he must risk everything to expose this nightmare that’s hidden from the eyes of the world. (taken from Goodreads)

Why I Hate It? ~ This series doesn't even make a whole lot of sense. I would like it better if Alex were a little older, but you have to remember that all of the main protagonists of this series are approximately 13 years old which makes you raise eyebrows if you really think about it. I think if Alex was about 5 years older THEN this would make more sense than it does. This is the big reason why I couldn't give it high ratings. It's just unreasonable and stupid to put a kid through Hell. I mean, he tries to give a good explanation, but IMO, it just isn't good enough. .... that and book 4 is a cop-out pile of dog shit.

Why I Kept Reading It? ~  Atmosphere.  The Furnace Penitentiary atmosphere is one of the most chilling horror settings that I had read about in a LONG LONG time. The guards, the dogs, the punishments... everything is frightening and excruciating. It sent chills down my spine.

Other things like this of note ... 

( no torture and hopelessness but certainly the same level of terror )

( for added horror, surround sound speakers at 3AM)

------

3 ) The Warrior series by Erin Hunter

What is Warriors?For generations, four Clans of wild cats have shared the forest according to the laws laid down by their warrior ancestors. But the ThunderClan cats are in grave danger, and the sinister ShadowClan grows stronger every day. Noble warriors are dying-- and some deaths are more mysterious than others. In the midst of this turmoil appears an ordinary house cat named Rusty . . . who may turn out to be the bravest warrior of them all. (taken from Goodreads)

A whole bunch of cat drama (me describing Warriors)

Why I Hate It? ~ People start associating you with furries if you read books about talking animals. I am not a furry. I don't have a fursona. I just like this book. Leave me the fuck alone. Other than that, the books are Greek dramas with the main players being cats instead of humans, and not as well-written. Not to mention the copious amounts of spin-off material that has come about from this series' success. Now we have BEARS and DOGS, and guess what? - they are all the fucking same. The first six books are a great saga, but after that, the series becomes convoluted and weird and repetitious. 

Why I Kept Reading It? ~ Cats. I like cats. And the drama. But mostly cats.

Other things like this of note ...

(nothing really)

------


4) .... ? Maybe there is one, and maybe there isn't.

No comments: