Monday, April 14, 2014

In Swick's Bookbag : And The Mountains Echoed

A few coworkers and I decided we needed to have our own bookclub. A lot of the town bookclubs (at least the ones that advertise at the library) just don't read things that interest us-- mostly mysteries and inspirational novels. So, why not make our own? I joined on the stipulation that we wouldn't read romance novels (note, I don't mind a little bit of romance in my books, but when that's all the book is about? Come on, man.... give me a break...) 


As our first bookclub read, we chose 'And The Mountains Echoed' by Khaled Hosseini.



I'm only about halfway through it, but I am really enjoying what I'm reading. Although definitely not as wordy, it reminds me a lot of Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children ... (I wonder if Hosseini has read Rushdie, and if it had some sort of profound impact on him. That's a paper I wouldn't mind writing, haha) ... it's about a lot of different people who all have one thing in common, so far that link is that they are all related to the same family. I like that there are some Afghani fairy-tales woven in. Definitely a sense of magical realism to this book. I'm reading it much more slowly than I do most books so that I can absorb all there is to it.

I'm sure that anyone who reads this book can find a message in it, but I especially recommend this to those who think about the books that they read and don't mind taking time to read it. 

No comments: