Saturday, April 26, 2014

Counting Down Pokemon Favorites (GENERATION 5)

Continuing the Pokemon countdown of my favorites from each generation! 
So, I've selection three Pokemon from each; one winner, and two runner-ups. 
This is taking into account my feelings of the Pokemon's design, stats, and my personal experience with them in battle.

I won't include legendaries in the generations; just normal Pokemon.
Legendaries got their own post.


Today I'm going to touch base with ....

Best Pokemon of GENERATION 5

Runner-Ups

JOLTIK
the Attaching Pokemon

Generation V
BlackJoltik that live in cities have learned a technique for sucking electricity from the outlets in houses.
WhiteThey attach themselves to large-bodied Pokémon and absorb static electricity, which they store in an electric pouch.
Black 2Since it can't generate its own electricity, it sticks onto large-bodied Pokémon and absorbs static electricity.
White 2
Generation VI
XSince it can't generate its own electricity, it sticks onto large-bodied Pokémon and absorbs static electricity.
YThey attach themselves to large-bodied Pokémon and absorb static electricity, which they store in an electric pouch.

Joltik ended up being one of my favorites because of its' unique typing : Bug/Electric. Joltik is also one of the few Pokemon where both its unevolved and evolved forms are insanely cute (especially rare for Bug types) I can't say I've ever effectively played with a Joltik. I had one named 'Livewire' but I didn't play with her long enough for her to find her spot on the team, but I've been working on it. I also like how adorably small Joltik is. It's really like three inches long according to the Pokedex, so it is fun to imagine just like dozens of these things falling out of your backpack or something. It also makes me slightly itchy.

DARMANITAN
the Blazing Pokemon
Generation V
BlackIts internal fire burns at 2,500º F, making enough power that it can destroy a dump truck with one punch.
WhiteWhen weakened in battle, ittransforms into a stone statue. Then it sharpens its mind and fights on mentally.
Black 2When one is injured in a fierce battle, it hardens into a stone-like form. Then it meditates and sharpens its mind.
White 2
Generation VI
XWhen one is injured in a fierce battle, it hardens into a stone-like form. Then it meditates and sharpens its mind.
YIts internal fire burns at 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit, making enough power that it can destroy a dump truck with one punch.

Darmanitan was my favorite Black/White Pokemon for a LONG time simply due to his design. I remember catching a Darumaka in my first playthrough of Pokemon Black, and then agonizing over how hard it was to train Darumaka (face it guys, the little roller monkey is a pain in the ass... not as much as Magikarp or Swablu, but still a pain in the ass to train...) and then when it evolved into a glorious Darmanitan (appropriately named 'Kong' ) it destroyed everything, including Ground types, in its path. Plus, it just looks wacky and cuddly and all of the things I want in a Pokemon.


---- WINNER! ----

HAXORUS
the Axe-Jaw Pokemon

Generation V
BlackThey are kind but can be relentless when defending territory. They challenge foes with tusks that can cut steel.
WhiteTheir sturdy tusks will stay sharp even if used to cut steel beams. These Pokémon are covered in hard armor.
Black 2Its tusks are incredibly destructive. They can easily slice through a thick, sturdy steel column every time.
White 2
Generation VI
XThey are kind but can be relentless when defending territory. They challenge foes with tusks that can cut steel.
YTheir sturdy tusks will stay sharp even if used to cut steel beams. These Pokémon are covered in hard armor.

While Dragon types are incredibly badass, I try to avoid playing with them because they are overpowered. I couldn't forgive myself though if I didn't put Haxorus on this list because Haxorus has battled its way into my heart. I caught an Axew in Pokemon X early on, and it traveled with me through the rest of the game, into the Elite 4, and beyond. I named him 'Sergeant' ... and through Pokemon-Amie, he became more than just a team mate, he became a Pokemon I genuinely cared about. It's funny how interacting with your Pokemon in that way did that for a lot of people. I know I'm not the only one who has a new appreciation for some Pokemon that they overlooked in previous generations. Haxorus is ridiculously overpowered (especially since my Sergeant has a Brave nature), but that just made it SO much more fun to stomp enemies with. After our escapades in the new world, Haxorus has slashed and crushed his way into my favorites.


No comments: