Saturday, May 18, 2013

Poetry In The Good Ol' Days

When I was young and full of dreams and still in high school, I dreamed of writing a spectacular epic poem. It was a science-fiction story about the dangers of conformity and apathy. I was really very proud of it at the time, but now I look back and I wonder 'what was I smoking?' - granted, I wasn't smoking anything which makes the attempt even scarier. I still have some fondness for it, and I feel like it is a terrible thing to go to waste. I did spend a lot of time on it and there are some very nice lines. So while you will never see it published in a book or raved about in the realms of academia, I have preserved it here on my blog in that little side page there called "Attempted Epics" -- Aside from the one listed, I vaguely remember a tale about a girl with superpowers that eventually destroyed her in a gruesome way, and a story vaguely inspired by the mythology of the 13 Greek winds.I have a couple more floating around that if I can find I will post. For now though, I am considering writing more epic poetry now that I am more skilled at my craft.


I am especially proud of these lines...

Where and when
Am I - ?
The darkness becomes brighter
Blinding darkness
Becomes light
Is this the absolute?
The beginning of the night?
The night which I'll
Forever sleep
My dreams –
Forever suspend
Hanging limply
In the unconscious void
And then this world
Will end?

Spiral Staircase, act 1, pt 17
2004- 2013 (c) Summer Fenwick

No comments: