Thursday, May 23, 2013

Reaction - Best Book of the Decade : 1950 - 1959


Today, I am reviewing the list : Best Books of the Decade 1950. That means all the books on this list were first published between the years 1950 through 1959.

They picked ... Charlotte's Web

My Reaction ---  Okay, so I can't say a whole lot about why I'm not sure this is the best book of the decade because it was my absolute favorite movie as a kid. I could quote it backwards and forwards and in my sleep. I played the tape so much that when it finally died, my daddy went out and bought me a brand new tape I loved watching it so much. And with crisp animation and cute sing-along songs like this, can you blame me? (I really need a copy of this for my DVD collection)


As much as I have fond memories of Charlotte's Web and everything that goes with it, the adult in me won't let me select a book simply because of my nostalgia. This is a great children's book that everyone NEEDS to read at least once in their lives.


I pick ... I, Robot

Why This One? --- Much like The Hobbit and Tolkien were the forerunners in the high fantasy field, Asimov is the granddaddy of most modern science fiction, both books and movies. You've probably seen the I,Robot movie they did a few years ago with Will Smith, and while it was a pretty good little film, the movie does NOT resemble the book in ANY form or fashion. The only thing that is congruent between the two are the famous Three Laws of Robotics....
1) A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm

2) A robot must obey orders given to it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3) A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
The REAL I,Robot is actually a collection of short stories that are centered around these laws and that stretch them to their limits, blurring the line between technology and humanity, from its primitive origins in the present to its ultimate perfection in the not-so-distant future--a future in which humanity itself may be rendered obsolete. Most of the scenarios though written in the fifties are still prevalent today. The science-fiction mind is simply astounding. And this is why I,Robot wins the
Swick Book Award for Best Book of the Decade: 1950s

No comments: