Sunday, May 19, 2013

Reaction - Best Book of the Decade : 1940 - 1949

Today, I am reviewing the list : Best Books of the Decade 1940. That means all the books on this list were first published between the years 1940 through 1949.

They pick .... 1984

My Reaction --- Oh man, this is another tough decade for me, but I feel like they got the author right. George Orwell wrote some incredible stuff back in the day that is still relevant over 50 years from when it was first published. In science-fiction, this is a very impressive feat. This book definitely falls on my "100 Books You MUST Read Before You Die" list (huh, maybe I should type that up as a blog post some time.) But it doesn't rank as high as another George Orwell book that was published in the same decade and on the Goodreads.com list made second place. See, I think these two should be switched around... at least for another decade or so, let's pass marriage equality in all 50 states and then I'll reconsider 1984 leading over ....



I pick .... Animal Farm

Why This One? ---- Yes, I know a lot of people are liking cursing at me through their monitors right now and ' How in the world can you pick Animal Farm over 1984?! Don't you know Big Brother is watching you?!' - to which I say : Chill out. It's only my opinion.  Animal Farm speaks a lot more to me than 1984 simply due to the fact that I, as a lesbian, have personally lived ...

"All animals are equal except some animals are more equal than others "

... this is the story of my life for the past decade. Yes, I am getting on my soapbox. This is the age of equality though, and a lot more people need to read the allegory in this book. It only portrays the political unfairness, and financial unfairness, but the social unfairness in our world today. You read it in high school and hated it, but now that you are grown up you really need to give it a chance. This book wins the Swick Book Award for Best Book of the Decade : 1940s because of its' relevance to current events and would probably open a lot of people's eyes if they read it outside of mandatory high-school crap.

No comments: