Saturday, June 22, 2013

Getting Old or Getting More Mature?

I did something almost unthinkable the other day, and you know what? - I'm really not that sad about it at all.

I traded in my Xbox 360 and my Wii, and all the games and accessories, and now the only console I have is my PS3 and my only handheld is my 3DS.... and of course, I still play Civilization V and Spore on my PC.

Yes, I had all of those things. At one point in my life, I considered myself a hardcore gamer, but I don't game as much now that I've gotten a little older. I still like to play games, sure, but I don't feel like I NEED to play every game that comes out on every different console just to be sure I'm not missing out on anything. I play the few games that I want, enjoy them, and then I'm done. I spend a lot more time with family or friends or even with my animals (anyone who knows me well knows I practically own a farm as far as sheer number and variety goes).

I kind of had mixed emotions about the XBOX 360 because most of my friends play on it rather than the other consoles, but the fact of the matter is that they just don't play it often enough or with me to justify me having it at all, so.... good-bye!

It's strange for me because video-gaming has been something I really enjoyed for a good portion of my life (ever since Dad introduced me to Super Mario World SNES, and then I played my first RPG Tales of Destiny on PS1) and now something that was once so big is now not so.

Is it a sign that I am just getting old and boring, or is it a sign that I know games are just games and there are more important things in life to worry about?

No comments: