Monday, June 24, 2013

Reaction - Best Book of the Decade: 1990 - 1999

Today, I am reviewing the list : Best Books of the Decade 1990. That means all of the books on this list were published between 1990 through 1999.

Man, guys, we are getting into the present day pretty soon. I'm going to have to picks some more genres or times periods to talk about, haha!


My Reaction - Considering this is the decade that I did a lot of my childhood reading in (I have a special fondness for the dragon books of this era: see series Dragonriders of Pern, Pit Dragons, Tales of the Enchanted Forest, etc.) - this is another one of those tough catagories, but I'm not going to pick for the sake of nostalgia. No, I really think the Goodreads community did a good job by picking this one because it really was a worldwide phenomenon.

Why This Book? - While Harry Potter honestly is not the most original book ever published, I have to give it props for the worldwide sensation it did cause whenever it first came out. Suddenly, kids that I knew from school who hated reading were enthralled by the series, and I'm sure that Harry helped a lot of kids and adults learn to love to read again (my girlfriend included; she was one of those 'non-reader' until she picked up Harry Potter, and now she's almost as bad as I am for having her nose stuck in a book, haha) - and I'd like to thank J.K. Rowling for making Harry well-written instead of most of the trash that is popular that comes out nowadays. My favorite examples of these are the infamous Twilight series, and it's super-Christian little sister the Halo series. Thank you, J.K. Rowling for not being completely retarded and unrealistic in your books especially since they involve magic. Weird compliment, I know, but just take it.

No comments: