Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Reaction - Best Book of the Decade: 1980 - 1989

Today, I am reviewing the list : Best Books of the Decade 1980. That means all of the books on this list were published between 1980 through 1989.

They picked .... The Handmaid's Tale

My Reaction --- I feel really bad about saying this, but I have not read this book. I don't know whether or not it really deserves to be on top of this list. Even sadder still, it has been on my to-read list for the past three years, and I have read at least 300 books since then, and never once has it crossed my mind to read it :(

I may change this post once I do end up reading it though, but for me to give an award, I have to stick with something I HAVE read.


I pick .... Blood Meridian,
or The Evening Redness in the West 


Why This One? --- Forget everything you knew about the 'American West' that you see in those old western movies starring John Wayne, and forget everything you thought was scary... like Stephen King or Dean Koontz or Anne Rice or even H.P. Lovecraft.... because compared to this book, those 'horror' novels look like child's play, and I don't mean Chucky. Blood Meridian is the scariest book I have ever read in my entire life, and the worst part about it is that Cormac McCarthy did a lot of homework to write this one and it is basically everything you DIDN'T want to know about the 'American West' ... that it was brutal, violent, merciless, and there were absolutely no heroes and all for the sake of greed, greed, greed. The worst part is that the book's story is told mostly from the perspective of a young boy who accompanies a 'judge' to kill outlaws... and some stander-bys. I won't spoil what happens, but this is a truly chilling piece of work. Forget The Road. McCarthy SHOULD be remembered for this.

No comments: